Luna Lodge Eco Statement
Our Commitment to the Rainforest, the Planet and our Guests
To operate sustainably with the natural environment at the core of our actions, contributing to the socio economic base by facilitating and operating our hotel with local involvement, creating more awareness about our sustainability program, educating our guests with the hopes that they will leave the Luna Lodge feeling more inspired to protect, preserve and heal the areas where they live.
We at the Luna Lodge strive to be an exemplary hotel that preserves and protects part of the rain forest and all of its inhabitants on the Osa Peninsula and, at the same time, creates awareness about the importance of the rainforest and living sustainably. Luna Lodge is honored to have been a recipient of the five-leaf eco-lodge rating from the Sustainable Tourism Commission.
Luna Lodge’s Sustainable Initiatives
Luna Lodge is an active member of several associations that work for the benefit of the community in areas such as infrastructure, culture, education, health, security, sustainable tourism and environment protection.
Some of the associations that Luna Lodge is a part of are The Turtle Protection Committee, The White Hawk Foundation, and The Association of Integral Development of Corcovado, in which Lana Wedmore was president for over 10 years.
Lana is the founder and President of the White Hawk Foundation and as well the owner of Luna Lodge.
- Luna Lodge protects the flora and the fauna inside and outside of its property; wild animals are not kept in captivity and they are not fed.
- Most of the hired employees are from the surrounding communities, thus, creating employment and economic stability for the local communities.
- Local small businesses are preferred when buying food, crafts and services such as tourism, transportation, furniture design, craft making and other hotel structures, generating economic stability for the surrounding communities.
- Zero tolerance policy towards activities related to sexual trade, sexual exploitation of minors, prostitution or drug trafficking. If such activities are detected, they will be reported.
- Water saving programs
- Energy saving programs
- Solid waste management programs such as recycling.
- Two organic gardens, one with sacred geometry engineering, as a farm-to-table food source
- Liquid waste management program
- Use of locally-sourced natural biodegradable products (shampoo, conditioner, hand and body soap, and all the products used for hotel cleaning)
- Pest control through biodegradable, non-toxic and environmentally friendly products
- Salt treatment for pool water purification
- Luna Lodge is 100% energetically self-sufficient:
- Electricity for all lighting and electrical outlets throughout the entire property is produced through our own hydro-power plant and solar panels
- Solar water heating and solar pool treatment equipment
- Environmentally friendly open structures, that allow the use of natural light
- Creating awareness for our guests about our sustainability program
- a library with information about the flora and the fauna of Costa Rica
- brochures promoting natural protected areas in Costa Rica
- tour and activities offered in which guests can interact with the surrounding natural environment and the community
- biodegradable products in their rooms
- water and energy saving signage
- guest recycling
- observation of all the sustainable practices in the installations and operations of the hotel.
Toll Free US & Canada:
Costa Rica Direct: